Fiberit

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Buffalo Shrimp


I love the Buffalo Shrimp at Redstone. They, of course, will not give out their recipe so I found this one on "About.com" http://www.entertaining.about.com/. I made them last Saturday night for a friend, my son and myself (and unfortunately the dog). They are not quite as good as Redstones were but still very tasty.




Ingredients: This recipe came from "The Ultimate Shrimp Book" by Bruce Weinstein, HarperCollins Publisher.

Makes 4 servings

Sauce: 1 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp. chopped onion

Batter: Salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup hot sauce (such as Texas Pete or Tiger Sauce, not Salsa)

Cooking:
8 cups peanut or vegetable oil
1 pound medium to large shrimp (35-40 per lb.) peeled, leaving the final segment of the shell intact, and deveined

2 Cups all purpse flour
Preparation:

1. Combine, blue cheese, mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, onion, salt and garlic powder, pepper in a small bowl. (refrigerate)

2. Prepare the shrimp, combine the melted butter and hot sauce in a large bowl, set aside.

3. Pour oil into large pan at least 4 inches deep and 10 inches in diameter. Oil should be 1 1/2 inches deep. If you use a deep fryer set it at 375 F

4. Dredge shrimp in flour and shake off excell. Fry shrimp for 1 minute - about 10 shrimp at a time until lightly browned. Remove shrimp and place on paper towel to drain.

5. Toss the hot shrimp in the butter/hot sauce glaze, coating them completely. Serve warm with blue cheese dip.

Well, we did all this and sat down to eat. We cleaned up and were watching a movie and I walked into my office and Cally had gotten into the shrimp tales that were left and ate them all. I knew I was in deep trouble. She did not get sick all night. I thought, oh good, maybe she won't get sick afterall. Gave her breakfast and left for a meeting. Came home to a pile of shrimp on the beige rug in the Living Room. Mind you this is the only carpet in the whole d______ place!

I put her outside and left her in her kennel for most of the day. She did not get sick in her kennel. I brought her in and left again for a short time. Guess what? Three more piles. There was red in that sauce, if you'll remember. Red does not come out of carpets easily. I called Service Master - they arrive tomorrow and I hope it comes out. This was a very expensive rug, still is, and getting more so by the minute.

I'm planning to make this for our annual Christmas Eve buffet. Cally won't be there.

Sorry, have to go knit on Ellie's pink/white striped sweater. Get the sleeves attached, now just for the shoulders and hood.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home