Fiberit

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An "Ah ha" moment in Knitting


Well, first of all, dontcha love this winter. I expected the snow but now 20 some below zero again.!

This is the photo of the "yarn over" stitch (2nd one from the right)


I was working on my sweater last night and kept trying to figure out this increase. It says, "inc 1 st. within the 5 front stitches. (the first 5 stitches are K2, p1, K1, p 6) So I thought it must, of course mean, right before the purl begins. A side note says, "yo for the increase and on the next row twist the stitch and knit as a purl stitch to look like the right side."



Well, I tried several versions and if I just did the "YO", it left a big hole and I couldn't figure out exactly where to place this increase so I tried a couple different positions and finally gave up and went to bed. It always makes sense in the morning (knitting and other things become clearer in the morning).


(2nd photo is the one of the hole created with just the yarn over)




(3rd photo is one of the correct finished stitch, cannot even see it)










This is what you are supposed to do to that stitch on the way back (purl side). Take it off the needle, twist it, put it back on and purl it. Now, I figured that out all on my own. I have never increased like this before and I couldn't believe that is what they really meant, but they did. Again, just read the pattern and do what it says, don't over think it.









I have started a new project just because....

I had this provence cotton sitting in the LR staring at me and I kept thinking about this cute shell Barbara Maeder designed several years ago. It fits perfectly and is very flattering. I tried swatching it with just provence and could only get close to the gauge on a size 10 (not a 7 which she used using Mission Falls wool). I got 4.5 on a size 10 and decided to use this Toffutsies sock yarn (with the provence)that kept screaming at me from the sock bin. It works up perfectly to 4.25 sts/inch on a size 10 needle. Wish me luck.!


I start my training the last week of the month for my new job - yeaaaaa!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home