Fiberit

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Spinning Yak





Received my yak from the Farm in Cold Spring, MN. It is very nice to spin. It is so soft, feels like Quiviet but not the high price. It is $20 per ounce -




Some of the Yak I've spun so far. It is very nice to spin on my Asford Traveler.






I've been spinning the indigo dyed fiber that Matt brought in. It is gorgeous and easy to spin - I'm almost done with both bobbins so I can ply it. It is gorgeous. I'm ready to ply it but have a couple students that want to learn how to ply so I'll save it for them.









Did some Dye work this week - Photos not ready yet.

I have been teaching individual spinning lessons this summer and find I really enjoy it. Most of the woman have had their own wheels or spindles so it doesn't require rental from me, which is fine. I would love it if they'd buy one from me, but I enjoy teaching them to spin. Our next Sunday Sit and Spin is this week. Hope to see a bunch turn out for this.
SPINNING/KNITTING IN:

Our Sunday Sit & Spin/Knit IN was last sunday. It was so much fun. We had eight of us knitting and spinning. I learn so much from this group. Diane was the one that told me about the Yak farmer in Cold Spring. It spins up so nice. She also shared with us her information about "Swing Dance " classes at a place in St. Louis Park - I'm going to try this out. She's sending me the info.

Julie & Karen told us about a place, cannot remember the name now, that sells spices. The name is http://www.penzeys.com/. You can do mail order or visit them in Uptown. As I've said before we discuss all topics. Somehow cooking and spices came up and how they don't have a great shelf life. So this place is the place to go for fresh spices.

Zoe came with another shawl spun in singles from some roving I had dyed awhile back. It was gorgeous. Now I have to figure out which color it was. She is an excellent knitter as well as spinner.

Karen, of course, bought some more of my hand-dyed roving and fleece. I have so much fun dyeing it and she is such a great customer. She had done some dying with us a few weeks ago and brought samples of her beautiful yarn. She is getting quite good at this spinning and dyeing thing. I forgot my camera so I don't have photos of what she did. But the colors were orange/reds. Gorgeous. She was spinning today with the Louet pencil roving. She made it look like it was spinning itself. She said it is a dream to spin with, we still have several bags left.

Diane was spinning a gorgeous red/orange roving that she bought to make mittens and a scarf with to match her winter coat. It was gorgeous. I'll have to try to dye some of those colors. Apparently this red/orange combo is very popular.
We had two new comers, both were knitting socks and One was making a microphone holder for her helmet ( I believe I got that correct). They were alot of fun and hope they come back again.
Four O'Clock arrived too soon! I think we'll keep this time slot. 1-4 PM






































































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home