Fiberit

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A CULTURAL MECCA

November 1 - It's a cool windy Fall day today. Partly sunny but brisk. Have had an interesting week. Alot of business around the shop. We're working up quick gift ideas for people to knit for family and complete by the Holidays.

On Saturday we had a class and I overheard two women discussing Minneapolis and how we have become the cultural capitol of the midwest. "We have more culture here than Chicago", she said. The nice thing about Minneapolis is that it is affordable and available. For instance I went with a friend to a free concert of the "Isles Ensemble" on Sunday evening at Lake of the Isles Lutheran Church. It was incredible, Joshua Koestenbaum of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, plays the Cello; Leslie Shank, assistant concertmaster of the St. Paul Chamber and is a violinist. Helen Chang, violinist also of the Minnesota Orchestra, has played all over the world and Aaron Janse also violinist and has performed and toured all over the world. Judith Kogan, harpist, studied at Julliard and Royal Academy of Music and has written a book entitled, "Nothing but the Best, The Struggle for Perfection at the Julliard School." We are very lucky to have this talent in Minnesota. THIS WAS A FREE CONCERT.

We also have great theater - just go to "The Rake" website and it lists all the theaters and current productions.

The plus for me is there is very little traffic to contend with at these concerts and parking is available. There is usually not a bad seat in the house at some of the smaller Theaters also.
Someone asked me a few weeks ago if I ever attend the High School theater productions and I haven't for several years. This couple does quite often and recommends them highly. You don't have to have a child in school to go - they love an audience. I went to EP high School Jazz band concert a few years ago because my neice was playing. It was incredible, knocked my socks off. I was amazed at the talent and the music was nostalgic. I must make a note to go again. You can also take your knitting, how lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home