Fiberit

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bookclubs

I have been in a bookclub for 11 years, I joined in April 95 - we have read a book a month and doing the math I think that is 132 books plus whatever else I read in between. I moved into the neighborhood when they were in their first year. I was invited by my neighbor Sue Montgomery. I eventually moved away but was invited to stay on in the bookclub. I love a good story. Nothing better. I have my favorite authors and books. My favorite, most memorable book is "A prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. I can only imagine what this man's brain must be like. We have read everything from Virginia Woolf to Jon Hassler, Fitzgerald and Einstein. All of the best sellers and some very unknown authors.

After a while you can determine who is going to pick a certain kind of book. Some people are better at choosing and doing research than others. Some chose a book because they liked the cover and one chose books that her husband liked and several got recommendations from their friends. At any rate we have had some good discussions and learned a great deal.

We have been through alot together as a group; divorce, death of children, spouse and parents, remarriage, birth of children, death of a group member. Many people have also relocated to other areas of the U.S. I guess we have experience all that life has to offer, good or sad. We celebrate each other when we get together because we know how precious life is.

Join a book club if you get a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home